The FDA approves and regulates the use of artificial sweeteners, so they are safe to use. But the question is, which one is best?!? There are so many options that all look the same. However they are made from different substances.
Here are some common Artificial Sweeteners:
- Aspartame (Equal, NutraSweet). No threats confirmed with research, however it was given the lowest ranking in food additives by CSPI.
- Saccharin (Sweet’N Low). At one time they had to have a label saying risk of bladder cancer, but this was later removed and believed to be regarding rats only.
- Sucralose (Splenda). Deemed as safe, even for baking.
- Acesulfame K (Sunett, SweetOne). Some animal studies showed a link to cancer.
- Stevia (Truvia, PureVia, Stevia in the Raw, Monk in the Raw, SweetLeaf). Derived from the Stevia plant.
- It is organic / all-natural
- It does not contain excitotoxins (like aspartame)
- It tastes great
- It does not have bad side effects
- It can be used to cook/bake
- It has zero calories
- It can be used by Diabetics
- It is gluten-free