I admit it, I sometimes let stress get the best of me.
Stress usually comes on when I feel I am being pulled in too many directions.
I am sure you can relate. Gotta do the laundry, stop at the dry cleaners, pickup some meat at the store, pack for my trip, prepare meals for tomorrow, & on and on.
Or maybe there are some family issues or big changes in your life that are causing you stress.
Do you have any idea what stress does to your body?
Let’s take a closer look at it…
When you are stressed out, your body releases cortisol. As a result, you may:
- Have trouble sleeping
- Have headaches
- Have digestive issues
- Have muscle tension
- Feel fatigued
- Have cravings for sweets or caffeine
- Have increased fat accumulation
- Be angry or irritable
Chronic stress and high levels of cortisol can lead to even more serious problems, so we must avoid that.
How we can De-Stress
- Breath I have to remind myself to take deep breaths, relax, and focus on one task at a time.
- Make a To-Do List Since i am the Queen of to-do lists, I typically write out a list so I can organize my thoughts and prioritize what needs to be done first.
- Sleep Try to allow more time for sleep each night. Consider taking a nap every once in awhile.
- Journal Write down your thoughts and release your frustrations.
- Meditate Sit in silence and allow yourself time to clear your mind.
- Listen to music Try some calming music. Reggae is my favorite because it always puts a smile on my face.
- Talk Consult a family member or friend for advice.
- Exercise to help boost your mood.
- Avoid sugars and alcohol so blood sugar levels don’t spike
Some of my Favorite Relaxing Songs:
- Yellow by Coldplay
- Dancing by Elisa
- All at Once by Jack Johnson
- Nothing Left to Lose by Mat Kearney
- Whisper by A Fine Frenzy
- Fireflies by Owl City
- Breathe Me by Sia
- Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
- Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap
- Oceans by Hillsong United
- Arithmetic by Brooke Fraser
- Learning to Breathe by Switchfoot
- Closer by Shawn McDonald
- Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley
- Closer to the Sun by Slightly Stoopid